Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Paterno Proud


         
             Paterno Proud is the statement  that it said on every single bus that I passed by today. It is sometimes shocking to even imagine that the man who all of Penn State loves was once even down talked. No matter what ESPN news reporters had to say about JoePa, Penn State was always by his side and that showed during his procession today. As his casket passed by and all of Penn State got one last glance at their coach, the atmosphere was intense. Even a pin drop could be heard as the coach went by and each and every single Penn Stater payed their last respects. It was evident by the crowd how much respect every person at PSU had for good old JoePa no matter what the allegations that were made against him were. Just like the signs and chants that were being made, JoePa is Penn State! It took only forty seconds for the tickets of his memorial to get sold out, and the average wait for his viewing was about two hours; all of these facts showing the Paterno's special place in every Penn Stater's heart. One day he did say, "they ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach" and that is exactly what was being said today. From the Paterno Fellowship program to the Paterno Library, Paterno has left an everlasting impact on Penn State and he will always be remembered for it even though he has left. 

4 comments:

  1. I am also surprised at home much love was shown to Joe Pa during the last week. One of the most inspiring quotes I've heard was, "Thanks for what you've done Joe Pa, we'll take it from here" because it gives closure to the whole affair. We need to appreciate the "home and atmosphere" that was built by this man but we need to keep his actions and words in our hearts and try to live by the legacy he left. I am very proud to be going to a school that is so patriotic. Seeing the PATERNO PROUD on the CATA buses made me smile and appreciate the unity our school has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penn State should be proud of Joe Paterno, the legend that took it from being a "cow college" in the 1950's, to a well respected public research university we have now. Many schools pump a lot of money into their football programs, and Penn State does the same, but a significant portion of the profits always went back to the university as a whole, not just back into the athletics department. Joe Paterno's commitment to education for both his players and the university as a whole was exemplary. He was an excellent example of a person who gave both his life and his money back to the university.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Paterno family really helped to allow the university to flourish. They donated more than money in my opinion. They donated their lives to helping to fund the Paterno Fellows Program for academic scholars in the college of Liberal Arts. They helped to create multiple scholarships, but the most they gave to Penn State was the impact they had on people that did not even know them. The reason why Joe left such an impact was because he was more than a football coach. He was a mentor, educator and philanthropist. He helped to create the unity that we have in our school that no other place has. We are Penn State.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting because I am sure many Penn Staters did not have the pleasure to physically meet Joe Pa; me being one of them. But it doesn't matter. I know too many things that he has done for my school, our school. I see it in the buildings, I notice it when I apply for scholarships, I hear the joyful and life-changing stories. All of these things make me feel like I knew him, so I just embrace them. I think about all the people who had to die and THEN recieve a statue in their memory, but Joe Pa was a legend before he died. He didn't have to die to be considered great, he was ALWAYS and will forever be remembered as one of the MOST respected and ethical leaders; ever! PERIOD.

    ReplyDelete