Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ironic Much?



Memes are always one of those things that absolutely just make my day while scrolling down my facebook newsfeed. Whether it be one about how lazy college seniors are or about typical problems that Penn Staters have. This one especially caught my attention because it is so stereotypical and funny. I feel as if there is pathos available in this meme because the fact that Temple is has a very unsafe community is a credible statement. After reading this it legit made me laugh out loud because I could see something like this happening in real life. I have many friends who go to Temple and they always tell me of stories of how they have heard of gunshots while going to classes. There's also that typical statement that one is not a true Temple student until he or she is mugged. With all of these statements it was funny to see how the creator of this meme was able to take those facts about Temple's reputation as a badass school and incorporate it with football. It's also funny how the creator of the two put two negatives together. The first thing is that Temple will be losing to one of it's rival schools, Penn State. After that kind of terrible loss it will have to go further and 'get robbed' while making its way back. This type of negative conotation for the school makes the meme funny and more enjoyable for those who are more Penn State oriented, rather than Temple. 

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad I do not go to Temple. It really is not situated in the safest of neighborhoods. I think this Meme really looks at the Penn State view of Temple and stereotypes the things that generally happen there but sometimes I think Memes go a bit far. I enjoy looking at Memmes when I have nothing to do on Facebook and most of the time I find them funny or entertaining. However I think some do go too far. I saw one that was on my newsfeed and it was about a girl from Bellefonte and it was asking her if she grew about without power. I thought it was a bit too much, but I am ashamed to note that I did laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this Meme is intented to increase the pride for Penn State students because we chose to go to the "better school" with the better football team and the safer neighborhood. Overall though, it is pretty funny how the maker of this meme was able to lessen the reputation of Temple by adding these two unrelated statements together; the only thing they have in common is how much their school sucks. In a way, it gives us a sense of pride that we go to PSU!

    But adding to Benjamin's comment. I think the purpose of memes is to take information and push it as far out as it can go. That's why we find them hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a pretty good jab at Temple. It is a Penn State rivalry, so talking some trash is to be expected. Taking into account the safety around that area of Philadelphia is a pretty good pun. Hopefully getting robbed on the way home doesn't happen to too many people who go to Temple. Although this meme is pretty funny and can appeal to me because I go to Penn State, I tend to like ones that are more broad in their appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to point out that this is hilarious. My best friend attends Temple University, and we were actually betting on this win. It is credible to say that Temple is one of the most dangerous campuses out there; but it is funny because we all know that if it were too unfit of a learning environment, then it would not be such a prestigious university. Although it is not PSU, Temple is a known for academic excellence from the professors to the courses. I just want to point out that their faces are priceless!!

    ReplyDelete