Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Don't Think It Gets Worse Than This


So I’m pretty sure every kid at Penn State must have already been a victim of this statement, or if it hasn’t happened yet, it will somewhere during their Penn State experience. I unfortunately am a student who has been a victim of this particular statement. During this past semester I made the worst decision of my life and decided to take Political Science 014 with Professor Iqbal. I don’t think I have ever regreted something more than that decision. I went to that class for the first week of classes and came to discover that she is incapable of teaching.
Ever since that moment I knew that I would have to teach myself everything for the midterms and finals in that class. Thus I would take incredibly detailed notes after reading the book. But even all this work was not enough and I ended up doing very badly on the midterms. After the second mid-term I found out that the late drop date for the class was on April 6th and I told my professor that I needed to find out my midterm grade by then to decide whether or not I was going to drop the class. Of course, exactly what I had expected happened, even after many emails I still didn’t get my mid-term grade in time so I ended up dropping the course instead of taking the class. Ends up that I definitely made the right decision.
Overall, this occurrence came to teach me that this meme is very true in the point that it is attempting to get across. Some professors don’t take the late drop seriously and don’t even recognize that some students care about their grades and want to make the right decision so that they don’t end up jeopardizing their GPA at the end. Their meme does a great job of taking collaborating the right image with the right text. It shows exactly how certain professors think that by saying a statement as such, they don’t actually mean it and there are no repercussions for them even if they don’t get the grading done. All in all this meme just comes to show another problem with the college educational system. 

4 comments:

  1. Yeah I disapprove of some of the actions of some professors on campus, but I feel overall most professors are conscious to their students and do make sure to get across their grades before the late drop deadline. I am sorry for the experience you had with that international politics professor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The actions (or lack thereof) of your professor were irresponsible and careless. I have not experienced this, and hopefully i never will. I think teachers that do this should face some type of disciplinary action. This meme is an instance of where something is funny because it is true, even though when it happens in real life it is not so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's crazy because a lot of my friends have gone through this problem just with different classes. But their Professors grade their exams after the drop/add period. I feel like sometimes this is puropsely done to imply that students should actually study for exams so they will not have to worry about failure on exams. This however can actually hurt a student's GPA because they do not know how they did on an exam and inturn do not know if they should drop the course if they are doing poorly. Good thing this problem has not happened to me, yet. But I hope everything works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's horrible! On one hand, I think the professors sometimes do get really busy and maybe do not have time to grade as fast as we'd like them too and maybe they are unaware of the drop date? That's my theory but then again I never had a professor who screwed me over like that...

    ReplyDelete